Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Let's Talk About Alcohol...

Vacation last week was AWESOME! Monday-Wednesday we hung out around RI and ate at some of my favorite spots as well as some new spots. The food was amazing, as always, and the company was just as good. Thursday morning (read 5:30 am) we left for Philly to see the Braves. It was nice finally crossing that stadium off my list, but it was a cold game. After, we did some shopping at an outlet/regular mall then took the train into NYC.

Our hotel in Chinatown was really nice - probably the nicest bed I've slept in at a hotel, minus the sheets that were half the length of the bed... That night, we walked around Times Square a little bit then headed back and crashed. One of the nice things about the weekend was sleeping in a little bit longer than we normally would've; we slept until about 9:15 every morning which really helped my body recover from all of the running around we did. Friday and Saturday night we went to see the Braves play the Mets which was a ton of fun! There were many "shenanigans afoot" over the weekend and more delicious food and beverage consumed. Have you heard of a baby Guinness? If you haven't I highly recommend you look into it...

Which brings me to my discussion on alcohol consumption.

Why am I always harassed for not drinking when I go out with people? I've never been a huge drinker; I can count on one hand the number of times I have been drunk and, while I enjoy certain beers/liquors, sometimes I just don't want to drink.

Most of the time it is because I am not hungry. I understand that this is a weird concept for many people - drinking has nothing to do with hunger - but it does. The liquid has to go somewhere and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that somewhere is my stomach.

I enjoy craft beers, but most of the time I prefer smaller amounts since I like heavy beers, so they frequently become warm before I can finish a glass.

I am cheap! This should come as no surprise for anyone who knows me. I don't want to spend $8 on a beer I don't like. I don't want to spend $13 on a mixed drink that sucks. I don't want to spend $xx on multiple beverages throughout the night, not only breaking my bank, but also adding numbers unnecessary calories.

I don't want the extra calories! I am on a journey to become healthier and while that doesn't have to mean eliminating alcohol all together, it is easier for me to avoid it because I don't drink much as it is.

So, why is it so hard for people to leave me alone when I order water at a bar? My lack of alcohol consumption does not affect you. If you want to argue that I am not as fun when I don't drink, I would argue back it is because I have to constantly defend my choice not to consume alcohol. It is annoying and it is going to make me grumpy, as anyone would become grumpy when defending a personal choice they've made that has no consequence for anyone else.

Please understand, this is not a dig on any of my friends, but concerns I have with society in general. It has been happening to me for the past 6 years and honestly, it has gotten to a point when I don't want to go to bars anymore because I get so much anxiety about how people are going to give me crap for my choices. My decision is not that big of a deal, so please don't make it one.

In other news, I've doubled the weight I am lifting with Pump and it is hard work, but I am loving it! Grocery shopping will ensue tomorrow so I should be back on track with my nutrition plan again. I tried to be conscious about what I was eating and trying to eat proportional meals, but sometimes we wouldn't eat until 8 or 9 pm which I don't love, but I understand it is the nature of the beast sometimes. Also, eating pizza at 2 am to get something in my stomach after drinking numerous shots/drinks didn't help, but it was a pretty amazing slice!

No comments:

Post a Comment